Thursday, June 5, 2008

Spicy turkey burgers

Made these tonight with 93% lean ground turkey, and they were surprisingly good--even Grant liked them, and he's a die-hard beef guy. Before he tasted them, he did ask why I didn't just use 93% lean sirloin: the answer is, honestly, I've never attempted to make burgers with beef that lean. I think the nice thing about turkey is that it takes on flavors so well: you can add just about anything to help keep them moist.

Changes: I reduced the oil in this to just one T. (olive oil), added a big fresh chopped jalapeƱo, and a teaspoon of ancho chili powder. I did use a "fresh"-style salsa (not the chunky Pace crap), but soaked up a bunch of the salsa's liquid with paper towels before throwing it in with the turkey. Straining would have been easier if I had cheesecloth! :) The salsa I used was medium, not mild. Wimpy! :)

Spicy Turkey Burgers

For those who are wondering, versus 93% ground sirloin, 93% ground turkey has 34 less calories, 1.4 grams less fat, 1.51 grams less saturated fat, and 2.18 grams less protein. That's not too huge of a difference.

Does anyone have any good recipes for 93% lean sirloin burgers? :)

No comments: